My top 5
I am frequently asked what are some of my favorite places in Ocho Rios so here goes. It is not comprehensive list, its just a few of my personal favorites:
1) Blue Hole Jamaica is located up in the hills of Jamaica on the border of St. Ann and St. Mary which are two parishes on the north coast of Jamaica. I visited for the first time a few weeks ago and I was a bit ashamed I hadn't done it earlier. Pictures on the internet don't do this place justice. If you are looking for a non-touristy attraction where you can be one with nature I would definitely recommend a visit.
2) Dolphin Cove Jamaica is located in central Ocho Rios. Did you know swimming with the Dolpins is one of the most common things on peoples bucket list? It was definitely on my bucket list of places to visit in Ocho Rios. I am aware it can be pricey however this company offers two for one specials for swimming with the Dolphins in Jamaica... . I found this deal online and its a great way to cross something off your bucket list and save some money!
3) Turtle River Falls and Gardens - Formerly know as the enchanted gardens is one of the hidden gems of Ocho Rios. When you mention Ocho Rios most tourists think of Dunns River Falls. I am pretty sure most people are not familiar with this attraction. This is such a shame, I tried this tour a few months ago and found it so educational. You are taken along a nature tour where you learn about the fauna of Jamaica. I learned quite a bit about Jamaica during their nature tour. I was then taken to their aviary. The icing on the cake however, was the series of cascading waterfalls that run throughout the property.
4) Scotchies Ocho Rios- I always say you haven't really experienced a country until you have tried their cuisine. Jamaica cuisines is world renown for its Jerked meats and Scotchies is one of the best places to experience this. Scotchies is located around 15 minutes from Central Ocho Rios and is near the Riu Hotel and the Jewels Dunns River Hotel. If you want experience Jamaican cuisine here are a few things you can select from the menu: Jerk Chicken, Bread Fruit, Roast Yam and my personal favorites Festivals.
5) Dunns River Falls - I know its a bit of a tourist trap. However, you can't visit Ocho Rios and not visit Dunns River Falls at least once. However, lets experience Dunns River Falls in style. A good way to do this is take a catamaran cruise on your way there. That way you get to enjoy the beauty of the Jamaican coastline, go snorkeling and then climb Dunns River Falls and enjoy its natural beauty. Special tip for visiting Dunns River Falls avoid the cruise ship days. I was told the best day to visit is Sunday morning.
The town of Ocho Rios has the most diverse tourist attractions in Jamaica. If your idea of visiting a country is to get out and explore I would recommend Ocho Rios to a first time visitor.